Senior Intern Architect
New York, NY
Well known for its contributions to the architectural landscape of the South, Historical Concepts has designed fine residences in classical and southern vernacular styles since 1982. Today, founder Jim Strickland and his partners lead five design teams recruited from the nation’s top traditional architecture programs. With a shared passion for historic architecture and a culture of creativity, the 30 person firm is carrying on the time-honored principles of traditional design for a new generation. By weaving the fundamental elements of scale, proportion and detail within the framework of each client’s personal vision, Historical Concepts creates exceptional homes that capture the spirit of the past while fully embracing the present. The firm also works with quality minded developers and civic clients to create neighborhoods, communities and public places that are inspired by the existing design and cultural heritage of each site.
Historical Concepts’ recruiting philosophy and controlled growth strategy is simple, yet unique. We hire for the long term and we promote from within. Our small studio structure offers immediate and meaningful opportunities for professional growth, ultimately allowing us to promote team members from within the firm to leadership positions. Our five studios are each led by Partners who began their careers as interns at Historical Concepts and now provide daily mentorship to their team. Our commitment to each staff member results in little turnover, and our close-knit and collaborative atmosphere yields designs of the highest quality for our clients.
To provide dedicated service to our expanding client base in the area, Historical Concepts will be opening an office in New York, NY in the spring of 2014. This presents a unique opportunity to join the firm and contribute to our continued growth in the Northeast. We are seeking an ambitious professional at the beginning of his/her career who is ready to play a key role on our team. Successful applicants should be actively working toward licensure and will have the following qualifications:
• A demonstrated passion for traditional architecture within their portfolio.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Architecture. A Master’s degree in architecture or planning is a plus.
• Two to four years of experience working on high end residential estates. Additional experience with highly detailed commercial buildings is plus. Preferable work experience would include involvement at all phases of the project: initial design, preparing construction documents, reviewing estimates and shop drawings, and observing construction.
• Experience developing and successfully implementing project schedules.
• Solid understanding of residential codes and construction assemblies.
• Exceptional freehand rendering abilities in both two dimensional and perspective techniques.
• We employ a collaborative design process. Applicants must enjoy working within a team dynamic.
• Strong communication and organizational skills are necessary to successfully coordinate with the in-house project team. Additionally, an engaging personality and effective style of communication will be required for interaction and coordination with clients, consultants, and contractors.
• Thoroughly detailed drawings ensure designs are well executed during construction. Applicants must possess an appreciation and eye for detail.
• Self-motivated, with exceptional time-management skills. Leadership experience is a plus.
• Proficiency with AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, SketchUp and Microsoft Office.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume and portfolio to Managing Partner Todd Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should address your inspiration for entering the field of architecture, what you enjoy most about the profession, and how you will define professional success in both the short and long term. Lastly, the cover letter should describe why you believe you would be an ideal fit at Historical Concepts. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.