The Department of Architecture at Judson University seeks candidates for a fulltime, tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate level to teach design studio and an area of expertise as outlined below, beginning in fall semester, 2017.
• Conduct teaching, service, and scholarship within a private, Christian university of the professions and liberal arts and sciences
• Teaching in architecture design studios
• Teaching required coursework in architectural structures or building science
• Conducting a research agenda that is integrated with teaching assignments
• Service to the Department and University in the form of student advising and committee assignments
• Demonstration of an active and growing Christian faith
• Commitment to excellence in teaching within a Christ-centered academic community
• Collaborative skills to work collegially with other faculty in the Department of Architecture (including Interior Design faculty), the Department of Art & Design, and the broader University community
• Ability to integrate teaching with the Department’s concentrations in traditional design, sustainable technologies, or ministry, as well as with select interior design coursework
• An accredited terminal degree (e.g., M.Arch. or equivalent)
• Attained licensure or eligibility for licensure as architect in the US (or foreign equivalent)
• Demonstrated ability in architecture design education, especially at the foundational (first and second years), or alternately the advanced level (third, fourth, and graduate years)
• Demonstrated ability in architectural structures or building science
• Demonstrated ability for creative or scholarly research
• Interest in curriculum development and student recruitment
• Proficiency in industry-standard software (e.g., Revit, Sketchup, Vectorworks, Adobe Suite)
• Teaching experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Administrative experience
• Curriculum development and student recruitment experience
• LEED certification
SCHOOL OF ART, DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURE
• Membership in appropriate professional associations
• Familiarity with digital/emerging technologies
Rank and salary based on qualifications, education and work experience.
Application Process & Contact Information
Please submit questions about the position and all application materials, in electronic format, to:
Dr. Jhennifer A. Amundson, Interim Dean
School of Art, Design and Architecture at Judson University
1151 N. State Street
Elgin, IL 60123
• Letter of interest explaining design philosophy, teaching approach, expectations for professional development, and scholarship agenda
• Completed Full Time Faculty Application (see “Employment Forms” in left-hand menu at http://www.judsonu.edu/jobs/)
• Portfolio of professional, teaching, and scholarly accomplishments of no more than 25 pages, submitted as a PDF
Judson University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees, and applicants for admission or employment, in all University programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status.
The Faculty of the Department of Architecture is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community committed to teaching and working in an environment that values diversity of thought and approach within the context of its unique mission and strongly encourages applications from minorities and women.
Review of applications will begin January 9, 2017. The position will remain open until filled. The appointment will begin August, 2017.
About the University, School, and Department
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Judson is a comprehensive university of the liberal arts, sciences and professions that is committed to an evangelical expression of Christian faith and living. Judson offers four-year programs, degree-completion programs for non-traditional students, and Master’s degrees. Judson’s 90-acre campus is located 40 miles northwest of Chicago on the banks of the Fox River in the city of Elgin, which has a growing local art scene. In this setting the students, faculty and staff enjoy and support a rich sense of community based in shared values of community service, social justice, and design excellence.
The Department of Architecture is housed, with the Department of Art & Design, in a dedicated, LEED Gold certified building where 200 students study architecture, interior design, art, design, and film with a 13-member full-time faculty. The Department offers a B.A. in Architectural Studies, a B.A. in Interior Design with an Architectural Studies Minor, and an M.Arch. through a hybrid program that features a one-year practicum. The NAAB-accredited program in architecture has particular strengths in the areas of sustainable technologies, traditional design, and ministry.